For those who have not yet decided what to do for the Fourth of July holiday, here are a few ideas that are somewhat unique, and I hope one of them will strike your fancy. This is above and beyond the standard fireworks displays. Four suggestions for ya….
1) Pacific Symphony- Music of the Eagles- at the Verizon Amphitheater Irvine- Richard Kaufman is the conductor and does such a fine job. Fireworks finale. Military comes free and guests are $20, and early bird specials. Regular admission starts at $25. Can pre-order the Bristol Farms picnic dinner and that was very convenient last time I went. www.pacificsymphony.org
2) Newport Dunes- Has a two day event July 4th and 5th. The Bangles band will perform at 5:30 on July 4th and many other performers. Face painting, crafts, BBQ, and aquatic park for additional fee. But my BEST BET is for Thursday July 5th. The afternoon will feature a food truck competition at 5pm and someone will win the $1,000! Also the beer garden opens at 3:00 along with DJ. Other bands are on the docket later in the day… check the web site. Reasonably priced, however I anticipate parking will be a bear. www.newportdunes.com (949) 729-3863.
3) Long Beach Queen Mary- A little further afield, but looks like a great event planned. Strolling performers, shows, live music, DJ, fireworks at night and good family fun. from 10am to 10pm visit www.queenmary.com for more details and pricing.
4) Balboa Peninsula- 2nd Annual Newport Bike Parade with dogs invited. starts at 9:00am at the 39th street Park, with a carnival and games at Channel Place Park from 9:30-11:30am . free
5) Balboa Bay Club & Resort- They will have a fantastic BBQ on the bay with live music in the afternoon but on the 4th it is very busy with the BBC Members, and boaters. I suggest going on Sunday the 8th. Will be lovely, the food is amazing thanks to Chef Josef, and they have live Calypso music playing from 4:30pm to about 8:00. visit the web site (Dining) for complete menu. www.balboabayclub.com